Men of the
46th Regiment

It is hoped that this page will eventually become a comprehensive biographical dictionary of the men who served with the 46th Foot. Anyone who can provide details of any such men is warmly encouraged to pass them to us for inclusion.

Robert Broadfoot

Sergeant, served with distinction in command of a small force against the bushrangers of Van Diemen's Land in 1815 (captured Maguire and Burne; received £100 gratuity and thanks of the Lieutenant-Governor); and in command of a small force against the aborigines in New South Wales in 1816 (received a certificate approving of his "zeal and activity during his services against the natives" from Major-General Macquarie).

Frederick Crosland

Fred was born in Lenton, Nottingham, in May 1817, the illegitimate child of a servant girl. On the 29th of March 1834, two months short of his eighteenth birthday, Fred met up in Nottingham with Private James Tacey of the 59th, a member of a recruiting team. Two days later he was taken before Saul Deverill, Justice of the Peace who posed to him the usual questions for Attestation.

The recruit swore that he was Frederick Crosland, born in the parish of Lenton, Nottingham, that he was 17 years 10 months, an unmarried labourer, not apprenticed, that he was neither ruptured nor lame, had never been subject to fits or had any disability or disorder which impeded the free use of his limbs, or unfitted him for ordinary labour.

When asked if he was willing to be attested to serve in the 46th Regiment of Foot until he should be legally discharged, he replied, "I am."

The recruiting team of Sergeant William Jennings and Private James Tacey had it put on record that they claimed the bounty of three pounds for their part in the proceedings, and after Fred had sworn that he was not already serving in either the Militia, the Marines, the Navy, the Ordnance or another regiment, and had had the Articles of War read to him, (by which he understood that mutiny or desertion would be punishable by death), he attested for unlimited service with the 46th Foot, swore the Oath of Allegiance, made his mark, and received 2/6d .

At this point the magistrate certified a written description of the recruit as follows:
Age apparently 17 years and 10 months,
Height five feet 7 and 1/4 inches
Complexion Fresh
Eyes Grey
Hair Sandy
Any distinct mark Several moles.

Later, the Army surgeon examined him and testified
"that he has no Rupture nor mark of an old wound or ulcer adhering to the Bone: he is free from Varicose Veins of the Legs, and has the full power of motion of the Joints and Limbs. He is well- formed and has no Scrofula Affection of the Glands, Scald Head, or other inveterate Cutaneous Eruptions; and his free from any trace of Corporal Punishment. His respiration is easy and his Lungs appear sound. He has the perfect use of his Eyes and Ears. His general appearance is healthy, and he posesses strength sufficient to enable him to undergo the fatigue to which soldiers are liable. I consider him fit for His Majesty's Service."

And so began Frederick Crosland's association with the 46th Regiment of Foot.

This was a time of comparative peace. After Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo in 1815 there were no major conflicts for several decades. As for Fred, his career was rather up and down. At age 18, just six months after his enlistment, he was court martialled and found guilty of destroying ball ammunition, and was sentenced to 30 days hard labour and had his pay stopped. Six months later he was court martialled for making away with some of his regimental necessities and spent two weeks in the guard house with resultant loss of pay and privileges.

It is possible that Fred served in Belfast, Ireland for a year or so but as the army designated this as a "home" rather than an "overseas" posting, this does not show on his record of service. However, in October 1837, when Fred now twenty, had been in the army for just over two years, and although some of his regiment were stationed in Dublin, Fred's record shows that he was posted to Malta where he stayed until February 1842, managing to stay out of trouble to such good effect that in 1841 he was awarded his first Good Conduct Mark which brought with it an extra penny a day.

The Regiment was posted to the West Indies in February 1842 and on Christmas Day he was promoted to corporal. Alas, whether it was the heat or the boredom that got him down or something else besides, we shall never know, but this much is certain, in the following October he was convicted of being drunk on canteen duty, was put inside for ten days and deprived of his one penny Good Conduct money for thirty days and he was reduced to Private once again.

After their tour of duty in the West Indies, the Regiment was sent to "North America" in February 1846, probably Montreal as the regiment was there in that year, but the next year the regiment was at Kingston, Ontario (Fort Henry).

I suspect that by this time Fred had met his own Waterloo for his only son was born somewhere between 1846/ 47. By November of 1847 his Good Conduct Badge and pay had been restored , and just in time for Christmas he was promoted to corporal once more. Fred was now 31 and Sophia, mother of his child, was 23.

Although it is possible that Garrison Records in Quebec may have further answers, no data has yet been found which shows either the marriage of Fred and Sophia, or the birth or baptism of William their son.

The Regiment returned home to Britain in 1848 and was first stationed in Liverpool, and in November 1849 he was awarded his Second Distinguishing Mark with Pay. Two years later he was awarded a Third Distinguishing Mark with Pay, making him a Lance Sergeant, but Fred appears to have been playing Snakes and Ladders, for in 1853 he lost the lot, and was reduced right back to Private for the crime of being drunk on Gate Duty. However, he was once again given One Distinguishing Mark and promoted yet again to Corporal in December 1855.

It is likely that some if not all of these episodes happened in Ireland, but as the Army chose not to see this as an overseas posting, this information does not appear on Fred's Record of Service.

Fred had now been in the Army for 22 years and it appears that he had heard of a good job going in Donegal so he applied for his discharge from the 46th. At Horse Guards on December 15th 1855 this was granted and he began a new career in the Prince of Wales Donegal Militia..

But alas! as a careless youth so long ago in Nottingham, he had been so eager to join up and neither Private Tacey ,nor the magistrate had pointed out the significance of being two months under age. What with that, and the time he had spent in the lock-up, Fred's years in the 46th Regiment of Foot totalled not the ultimate 22 years, but 21 years and 142 days. This caused him to miss out on a Good Conduct Mark which he had been almost due for. Perhaps he was aware of this. Perhaps Sophia thought it prudent that he should cut his losses, after all, he hadn't been on a bender for two whole years.

So Fred ended his career with the 46th and entered upon his new career in Ireland. At this time his Colonel wrote
"His conduct has been good and he is in possession of Two Good Conduct Badges "

Copyright (c) 1999, Marjorie Bundy.


Armourer-Sergeant, distinguished himself on the voyage home from India in the "Robarts," when, as a result of a heavy storm off the coast of South Africa the steering gear was damaged, and Homer was lowered over the stern, where, in heavy seas, he managed to rig a jury rudder, thereby almost certainly saving the ship

William Livermore

William was born in Balsham, Cambridgeshire, England about 1813, the son of Peter Rumbold, a Labourer from Balsham, and Mary Livermore nee Lucas. Mary and Peter weren't married because Mary was still married to Thomas Livermore, who was serving time in the penal colony in Tasmania for the attempted murder of his wife Mary only four years earlier.

At the age of 19 William enlisted in the Forty Sixth Regiment of Foot at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk on the 11th October 1834 as 915 Pte William Livermore. His trade before enlisting was that of an Agricultural Labourer, there wasn’t much of a choice for young men in mid-19th century rural England, so the army with the prospect of overseas travel would have been very attractive to him. Which turned out to be the case, as William served a total of 21 years and 185 days, during which he served abroad for 11 years 8 months as shown by the detailed statement below.

  • Gibraltar from 18th October 1837 to 24th February 1842, 4 years 4 months.
  • West Indies from 25th February 1842 to 24th February 1845, 3 years.
  • North America from 25th February 1845 to 10th May 1848, 3 years 2 months
  • Crimea from 12th October 1854 to 16th December 1855, 1 year 2 months.

Also during his service William was Court martialled twice for military offences, one by a General Court Martial in Gibraltar and imprisoned 26 days from 5th June 1839 to 18th June 1840. Then by a Regimental Court Martial while in the West Indies and imprisoned for a further 1 year 13 days from 23rd December 1842 to 17th January 1843. However, both of these periods spent in jail did not count as military service, so he ended up serving a further 1 year 39 days bringing his total to 22 years 224 days. William had become one of the casualties of disease while serving in the Crimea and was sent home on the 27th October 1855, arriving at the Regimental Depot on the 27th December 1855. Then following a medical examination at the Killmainham Hospital, Dublin he was discharged from the Army on the 27th July 1857 as unfit for service. On his return to civilian life William lived with his half-sister Amy Richardson, they shared the same mother Mary Lucas but different fathers. William’s father was Peter Rumbold and Amy’s father was John Richardson; William and Amy never married but had nine children together. William died on the 22nd December 1894 aged 81 years with his daughter Celia Livermore by his side. The death certificate records his occupation as Army Pensioner and the cause of death was cardiac disease. The Medal Rolls show that William was awarded the Crimea Medal and clasp for Sebastopol, and his service records show his conduct was very good with four good conduct badges being awarded.

Justin McCarthy

Corporal, served with distinction in command of a small force against the bushrangers of New South Wales in 1816 (killed Geary and captured two of his men; received £100 gratuity for Geary and £25 gratuity for each of the others, and was highly recommended by Lieutenant-Governor Sorrell for "zeal, courage and perseverance").

Robert McIntosh

Born Glealbert, Parish of Logierait, Perthshire Scotland on the River Tay, 30th January 1781. Father John, mother Isobel (nee McIntosh). Brother Donald, sisters Grizel and Margaret. He enlisted as a Private soldier in the 46th Regiment of Foot on 25th June, 1813, being paid a bounty of 11 guineas. Enlisting party were paid three pounds four shillings; McIntosh's pay was to be one shilling per day. He was promoted to Sergeant on 9th May, 1814, in succession to Sergeant Samuel Watts who had been demoted to the ranks. McIntosh arrived in Australia on 11th February, 1814, on the "Windham" with the Headquarters of H.M. 46th Regiment of Foot as Regimental Sergeant Band Master. His wife Ellen, daughter Elizabeth and sons Robert and John accompanied him. Macintosh left the army on 7th September, 1817, and became a landholder. He died on 3rd November, 1829, age 48.

Jeremiah Murphy

Sergeant, the first depositor in the Bank of New South Wales, on 8th April, 1817, according to an advertisement in the "Sydney Bulletin" in 1933. The existence of Sergeant Murphy has not yet been verified.

Did you realise that there are Load images to see the counter people interested in the 46th Foot?

Last updated by the Adjutant on the 9th of May, 2012.

Copyright © 1998-2012